Hello! And welcome to my DIY Art School.
What is DIY Art School? I’ve decided that for the calendar year 2019, I’m going to pursue a consistent and systematic exploration of art + design. And you’re welcome to follow along!
My goals with this project are:
- Develop a consistent daily art practice
- Explore art and creative theory in a way that helps me to incorporate new ideas into my practice
- Expand my illustration and design skills
- Develop an illustration- and design-related portfolio that I can begin circulating to potential employers in 2020
- Get a better idea of where I want to focus future personal projects
I’ll primarily be using resources that I’ve already purchased or that are freely available, including online classes, books, podcasts, and blogs. I would encourage anyone following along to check your local public library for resources first, and then any public university libraries you might have nearby. Fun fact: you can purchase memberships to most in-state public university libraries, and you can hang out in the stacks + read books for free without even being affiliated!
I’ve divided the year into four quarters, each with a different theme. Each month has a focus that ties back into the overall theme of the quarter, and allows for deeper exploration into a particular topic. I have reading and written reflection assignments, as well as video classes to watch– but art is something you learn by doing, so my emphasis will be on completing daily, weekly, and monthly projects, all aimed at developing my skills and ultimately building my portfolio.
FAQs are here.
The complete syllabus is available here.
Reading materials and supplies are listed here.
And all of the posts in the series will be listed here.
I look forward to seeing you in orientation!